Indian Street Food
Aloo chaat is one of the most popular Indian street food that people of all ages love. Sour, sweet, and spicy flavours seem to burst in the mouth with every bite of this tantalizing chaat made with potatoes and garnished with fresh coriander leaves and sev. It’s a perfect mélange of delectable flavours mixed with boiled potatoes.
You can enjoy this chaat in different styles with unique variations. For instance, you can add chana or chickpeas to make aloo chana chaat. It is not only delicious but very delectable. The addition of tamarind chutney to this aloo chaat brings amazing taste and flavours to this popular Indian street food. If you have not made this chaat at home, here is how to make aloo chaat at home.
- Main ingredients
Medium-sized Potatoes- 3
Oil- 4 tbsp
Black pepper powder- ¼ tsp
Sweet Paprika or Kashmiri Red Chili- ½ tsp
Roasted cumin powder- ½ tsp
Dry Mango Powder- ½ tsp
Chaat Masala Powder- ½ tsp
Black, Pink or Regular Salt to taste
Chopped Mint leaves- 1tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
Finely chopped green chilli
Sweet Tamarind Chutney- 1tbsp
Lemon Juice- 1 tsp
Pomegranate seeds- Garnishing
Sev- For garnishing
- How to prepare Aloo Chaat?
- It is very easy to make aloo chaat at home. You can also use homemade or readymade aloo chaat masala if you are unsure how many spices to add for the perfect taste.
- Take potatoes in a bowl.
- Wash them thoroughly and peel them using a peeler.
- Cut them in a bite-sized portions.
- Wash them again and allow them to dry on a mat.
- Take a wok (kadhai) and pour oil into it.
- Allow the oil to heat properly.
- Add potatoes to the oil and fry it on medium flame.
- Stir lightly in between so that it gets evenly fried.
- Once it is golden brown, take them out and place them on an oil-absorbent napkin.
- Take these fried potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add all dry spices to it and mix it well.
- Add tamarind chutney and lemon juice to it.
- Serve in platters and garnish it with coriander and mint leaves, pomegranate seeds, and sev.
- How to serve aloo chaat?
- You can serve hot aloo chaat on a beautiful platter.
- Garnish it with fresh mint and coriander leaves
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and sev to make it more tempting.
You can also check out how to make aloo tikki chaat and serve it when you have guests over at your place or feel like having this North Indian dish with your friends and family.
TinyTips for making Aloo Chaat like a pro
- If you are health-conscious, you can boil potatoes and cut them into bite sizes. Add spices, chutney, and serve the boiled aloo chaat recipe.
- You can make this recipe using very minimal oil and shallow fro them on a tawa. It is also famous for the tawa aloo chaat recipe.
- Reduce aloo chaat calories by reducing the oil used to make this dish. You can fry them in an air fryer and make them a healthy food option for you.
FAQs on Aloo Chaat
- Can I use boiled instead of fried potatoes in this recipe?
Yes, you can replace fried potatoes with boiled potatoes to keep aloo chaat calories in check.
- Can I add dahi or yoghurt to this recipe?
Yes, you can add fresh set curd or yoghurt to the aloo chaat recipe to make it more delightful.
Use this simple aloo chaat recipe to prepare this tastebuds tingling dish that you can enjoy any time of the day. Learn how to make aloo chaat at home and keep everyone happy with your culinary skills.